One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly venomous American spider which has a black body with red markings.
Latrodectus mactans, family Theridiidae; subspecies also occur on other continents (see katipo, redback, button spider)
- ‘The agency advises anyone who comes into contact with a black widow against touching the spider or its web.’
- ‘A deadly black widow spider crawled into a shipping crate in the United States and ended its journey some 5,000 miles away in mid-Essex.’
- ‘First off I had a dream about a spider, a black widow that was the size of a grapefruit that would follow me around like a puppy.’
- ‘They casually remarked one morning that they'd seen a black widow spider in the tub and washed it down the drain.’
- ‘It's the female black widow spider that is venomous and displays a menacing red dot on her abdomen.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.