Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket.
- ‘Every week they dress up in dinner jackets and black ties to visit old people's homes and sing old and well-loved songs to their delighted audiences.’
- ‘The boys were all in black dinner jackets and black ties.’
- ‘Men at their sides may have been attired in black frock coats, over waistcoats, white wing-collar shirts, black ties and top hats.’
- ‘We're looking for upscale wedding guests and high rolling party guests with your own upscale wardrobe (tuxedos, black ties, sexy gowns, rhinestone formals).’
- ‘In the cheap seats, you sit with people who are appreciating the music, rather than among the black ties and posh frocks who are just there to be seen.’
- ‘Ball gowns and black ties were the dress code as the town council hosted its yearly civic dinner and dance in glamorous style.’
- ‘We were outside a small church, decked out in gowns and black ties.’
- ‘The waiters have new uniforms: pinstripe trousers, tail coats, starched shirts with black ties.’
- ‘These guests seriously enjoy dressing up in very posh frocks and stylish black ties for dinner.’
- ‘Overseeing the white linen covered tables were crisply dressed waiters in white starched shirts and black ties.’
- ‘This is not your typical wine tasting - no black ties or stuffy attitudes, just friendly people out for a bit of fun and discovery.’
- ‘Get your black ties and posh frocks out for a proms evening.’
- ‘Diplomats dressed in their black ties or their national costumes dined, wined and danced in the beautifully decorated ballroom.’
- 1.1mass noun Formal evening dress.‘the audience wears black tie’as modifier ‘evening meals were black-tie affairs’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.