One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket.
- ‘Ball gowns and black ties were the dress code as the town council hosted its yearly civic dinner and dance in glamorous style.’
- ‘Overseeing the white linen covered tables were crisply dressed waiters in white starched shirts and black ties.’
- ‘We're looking for upscale wedding guests and high rolling party guests with your own upscale wardrobe (tuxedos, black ties, sexy gowns, rhinestone formals).’
- ‘These guests seriously enjoy dressing up in very posh frocks and stylish black ties for dinner.’
- ‘The boys were all in black dinner jackets and black ties.’
- ‘Every week they dress up in dinner jackets and black ties to visit old people's homes and sing old and well-loved songs to their delighted audiences.’
- ‘We were outside a small church, decked out in gowns and black ties.’
- ‘Men at their sides may have been attired in black frock coats, over waistcoats, white wing-collar shirts, black ties and top hats.’
- ‘In the cheap seats, you sit with people who are appreciating the music, rather than among the black ties and posh frocks who are just there to be seen.’
- ‘The waiters have new uniforms: pinstripe trousers, tail coats, starched shirts with black ties.’
- ‘Get your black ties and posh frocks out for a proms evening.’
- ‘Diplomats dressed in their black ties or their national costumes dined, wined and danced in the beautifully decorated ballroom.’
- ‘This is not your typical wine tasting - no black ties or stuffy attitudes, just friendly people out for a bit of fun and discovery.’
- 1.1mass noun Formal evening dress.‘the audience wears black tie’as modifier ‘evening meals were black-tie affairs’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.