One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The New Zealand international women's or men's hockey team.‘the Black Sticks opened the scoring’
- ‘The Black Sticks men have been beaten 3-1 by Korea in their final game at the International Challenge tournament in Tasmania.’
- ‘The Black Sticks had their chances to level in the fourth quarter.’
- ‘Japan solidified their defence following the goal and the score line remained 1–0 to the Black Sticks at halftime.’
- ‘The Black Sticks coach says the result was frustrating with much of the side's hard work undone by errors.’
- ‘The Black Sticks Women could not continue their winning ways, going down 1–0 to Japan in Auckland.’
- ‘The Black Sticks women have secured their spot in the semi-finals after an emphatic 4–1 victory.’
- ‘A first-half goal and superior defence was enough to put the still-undefeated Black Sticks into the final four.’
- ‘The Black Sticks men's hockey team know they must beat the world champion Australians to qualify for the Rio Olympics.’
- ‘The men's Black Sticks hockey team drew 5–5 with Germany last night, while the women's team takes on the Netherlands in the semi-finals later in the week.’
- ‘The Blacks Sticks defender celebrates his goal with teammates during their 2–1 win.’
- ‘The Black Sticks levelled the series with a 3–2 win.’
- 1.1Black Stick A member of a New Zealand international hockey team.‘obviously I want to be a Black Stick one day’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.