One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A geothermal vent on the seabed which ejects superheated water containing much suspended matter, typically black sulphide minerals.
- ‘The bacteria-like organism lives in a hellish undersea environment where water boils out from underwater vents called black smokers.’
- ‘In 1979, he found black smokers off the coast of Baja California.’
- ‘The purpose of the journey was to observe the life that masses around hydrothermal vents or black smokers.’
- ‘When scientists discovered lush colonies of organisms surrounding black smokers on the ocean floor, they began wondering how these animals maintained their populations.’
- ‘The region around these deep sea black smokers teems with all manner of life, including exotic crabs and giant tube worms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.