Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A geothermal vent on the seabed which ejects superheated water containing much suspended matter, typically black sulphide minerals.
- ‘The purpose of the journey was to observe the life that masses around hydrothermal vents or black smokers.’
- ‘In 1979, he found black smokers off the coast of Baja California.’
- ‘The bacteria-like organism lives in a hellish undersea environment where water boils out from underwater vents called black smokers.’
- ‘When scientists discovered lush colonies of organisms surrounding black smokers on the ocean floor, they began wondering how these animals maintained their populations.’
- ‘The region around these deep sea black smokers teems with all manner of life, including exotic crabs and giant tube worms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.