One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rat with dark fur, large ears, and a long tail. It is found throughout the world, being particularly common in the tropics, and is the chief host of the plague-transmitting flea.
Rattus rattus, family Muridae
- ‘The reptile house will become the mouse house, home to all kinds of rodents including black rats.’
- ‘The plague likely spread to Europe on the backs of shipboard black rats that carried plague-infested fleas.’
- ‘What was worse, he turned his head and found a black rat and a white rat biting energetically into the trunk of the plum tree.’
- ‘The bats thrived there as recently as 1962 or 1963, until the arrival of black rats aboard fishing vessels.’
- ‘The small animals we call rats come in two types, the black rat and the Norway rat, and they have lived with man throughout history.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.