One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rat with dark fur, large ears, and a long tail. It is found throughout the world, being particularly common in the tropics, and is the chief host of the plague-transmitting flea.
"Rattus rattus", family "Muridae"
- ‘The bats thrived there as recently as 1962 or 1963, until the arrival of black rats aboard fishing vessels.’
- ‘What was worse, he turned his head and found a black rat and a white rat biting energetically into the trunk of the plum tree.’
- ‘The small animals we call rats come in two types, the black rat and the Norway rat, and they have lived with man throughout history.’
- ‘The plague likely spread to Europe on the backs of shipboard black rats that carried plague-infested fleas.’
- ‘The reptile house will become the mouse house, home to all kinds of rodents including black rats.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.