One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A leopard that has black fur rather than the typical spotted coat.
- ‘The island harbours black-faced langur monkeys, sambar deer, cobras, pythons, black panthers, bison, jackals and wild boar, as well as fish eagles, kites, kingfishers and brilliant butterflies.’
- ‘Landing gracefully in a pool of filtered moonlight, the black panther turned with a flick of its tail and loped easily to the south, exiting the pool of light and reverting back to liquid shadow once more.’
- ‘They each bore into each other's eyes, circling each other like two black panthers, each afraid to be the first to move.’
- ‘A Hampshire school has declared its playing fields a no-go zone after two sightings of a big cat fitting the description of a black panther.’
- ‘The large black panther, which has been spotted stalking areas of Bexley over the past three years, made its latest appearance last Thursday.’
A member of a militant political organization set up in the US in 1966 to fight for black rights.
- ‘His birth father and godfather were also members of the Black Panthers.’
- ‘She did not see white peace activists energetically defending the Black Panthers, who were fighting a war for survival at the time.’
- ‘The most obvious influence on the rap artist's early politics is his mother's active membership of the Black Panthers, the African-American nationalist, revolutionary group.’
- ‘I think that not only the civil rights movement, but even certain black militant groups like the Black Panthers were necessary in the fight against racism and political inequality.’
- ‘She travelled to New York to show her support for the Black Panthers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.