One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A leopard that has black fur rather than the typical spotted coat.
- ‘A Hampshire school has declared its playing fields a no-go zone after two sightings of a big cat fitting the description of a black panther.’
- ‘The island harbours black-faced langur monkeys, sambar deer, cobras, pythons, black panthers, bison, jackals and wild boar, as well as fish eagles, kites, kingfishers and brilliant butterflies.’
- ‘They each bore into each other's eyes, circling each other like two black panthers, each afraid to be the first to move.’
- ‘Landing gracefully in a pool of filtered moonlight, the black panther turned with a flick of its tail and loped easily to the south, exiting the pool of light and reverting back to liquid shadow once more.’
- ‘The large black panther, which has been spotted stalking areas of Bexley over the past three years, made its latest appearance last Thursday.’
A member of a militant political organization set up in the US in 1966 to fight for black rights.
- ‘His birth father and godfather were also members of the Black Panthers.’
- ‘The most obvious influence on the rap artist's early politics is his mother's active membership of the Black Panthers, the African-American nationalist, revolutionary group.’
- ‘She travelled to New York to show her support for the Black Panthers.’
- ‘She did not see white peace activists energetically defending the Black Panthers, who were fighting a war for survival at the time.’
- ‘I think that not only the civil rights movement, but even certain black militant groups like the Black Panthers were necessary in the fight against racism and political inequality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.