Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of heavy metal music having lyrics which deal with the Devil and the supernatural.
- ‘But Sweden has such a great scene that's adored around the world, from punk rock to black metal, you cover all genres so well!’
- ‘According to various Japanese metal Web sites, the band was formed in 1992 in a cesspool of early Japanese thrash and black metal.’
- ‘We immediately hit it off and found we had a lot of mutual interests in dark music such as black metal.’
- ‘Rap probably outsells black metal a hundred times over, it's message reaches far more disaffected youth and potentially has a far greater impact on the susceptible.’
- ‘That type of behaviour is part and parcel with the over-the-top extremity that is black metal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.