Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Magic involving the supposed invocation of evil spirits for evil purposes.
sorcery, magic, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, spellworking, incantation, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, the black arts, devilrymalediction, voodoo, hoodoo, witching, witchery, hex, spell, jinxmojo, orendamakutumutisortilege, thaumaturgy, theurgyView synonyms
- ‘I am from Kerala, a place notorious for evil-worship and black magic.’
- ‘I don't know whether you believe in witchcraft, sorcery, black magic, and all that kind of thing.’
- ‘I would've told them that Fay and I don't do black magic, that it's only white magic we practice.’
- ‘Everyone believed that she was an evil, witchy person who practiced dark, black magic by night.’
- ‘It was explained that the healer had nothing to do with black magic or witchcraft.’
- ‘You were put under a spell by black magic, and only black magic can reverse it.’
- ‘About half of the population believe in telepathy, the evil eye and black magic, and that dreams can be prophetic.’
- ‘Wrestlers wore amulets to ward off evil spirits and black magic from their opponents.’
- ‘In rural areas, difficulties in pregnancy are often blamed on evil spirits or black magic.’
- ‘In rural folklore, the intersection of two roads was often regarded as an evil place, the site of black magic.’
- ‘I'd like to know how magic, especially black magic, is used in everyday's life.’
- ‘There was just no way his disappearance could have happened beyond black magic or witchcraft.’
- ‘She claimed to understand black magic and to possess clairvoyance, ESP, and other senses unsubstantiated by science.’
- ‘There's plenty of wealth and black magic in the film, but it's also enthralling good company.’
- ‘It was her involvement in astronomy and astrology that purportedly aligned her with black magic and divination.’
- ‘Journalism wasn't some mystical black magic that my grandmother couldn't do for some extra cash.’
- ‘According to him, mysticism must be differentiated from black magic.’
- ‘There is no black magic or witchcraft behind this self-help treatment.’
- ‘In addition, he distinguished between the benevolent occult arts and black magic.’
- ‘Zombies are dead bodies with no souls, created by the black magic of voodoo sorcerers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.