One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Pneumoconiosis caused by inhalation of coal dust.
- ‘Many people became miners to make a living and thousands died of miner's diseases such as black lung and silicosis.’
- ‘A federal fund created in 1977 to pay coal miners who developed black lung was funded with a tax on mining companies.’
- ‘The coal that powers our industries - bringing cheap textiles, central heating, and fresh fruit into our lives - also causes black lung, mine disasters, and acid rain.’
- ‘Thus anyone with severe respiratory ailments - black lung, brown lung, asbestosis, emphysema, and so on - is given adequate and comprehensive services as needed.’
- ‘Now aged seventy, his feet and hips are bearing the cost of his stooped shuffle through the tunnels, and his breathing is heavy with black lung, the miner's disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.