One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Pneumoconiosis caused by inhalation of coal dust.
- ‘Now aged seventy, his feet and hips are bearing the cost of his stooped shuffle through the tunnels, and his breathing is heavy with black lung, the miner's disease.’
- ‘A federal fund created in 1977 to pay coal miners who developed black lung was funded with a tax on mining companies.’
- ‘Many people became miners to make a living and thousands died of miner's diseases such as black lung and silicosis.’
- ‘The coal that powers our industries - bringing cheap textiles, central heating, and fresh fruit into our lives - also causes black lung, mine disasters, and acid rain.’
- ‘Thus anyone with severe respiratory ailments - black lung, brown lung, asbestosis, emphysema, and so on - is given adequate and comprehensive services as needed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.