One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or company making an unwelcome takeover bid for another company.
- ‘Comcast has opened the door for possible black knights to appear too, in the form of Viacom, Liberty Media or even Microsoft.’
- ‘A white knight is a person who is asked to acquire a company as an alternative to an unwanted black knight, who is the investor initiating a hostile takeover bid.’
- ‘The black knight, of course, isn't the type to court a maiden with flowers but instead prefers a fast horse and a sack.’
- ‘For 17 years, the media has made me the black knight, the scapegoat.’
- ‘With a black knight, the only thing you know they follow is the clink of coins…’
By association with white knight.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.