Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Used in reference to a bad person, especially a villain or criminal in a film, novel, or play:‘we are the good guys—the black hats lost’
- ‘A cursory glance at the history of the conflict reveals it is not just the guys in the black hats who have found it useful.’
- ‘We already have so many regular deputies that we don't really need a posse to actually get rid of the black hats.’
- ‘I argued that he's not evil, he's just the bad guy in the black hat, who you see coming a million miles away.’
- ‘This isn't an airport novel, with white hats and black hats, moral certitude and a nice conclusive ending.’
- ‘If we rely only on the ballot box to hold up our side of the negotiation, then the black hats will go around us and use tools like the courts to up the price of democracy.’
- ‘"I want to see the white hats win and the black hats dangling from the end of a rope."’
- 1.1Computing informal A person who hacks into a computer network with malicious or criminal intent:‘black hats have a history of disassembling source code and looking for lapses’
criminal, lawbreaker, outlaw, offender, felon, convict, jailbird, malefactor, wrongdoer, black hat, supervillainView synonyms
- ‘If they do this with full knowledge and authorization of the affected company, they are white hats; if they criminally exploit the vulnerabilities, they are black hats.’
- ‘According to security clearing house CERT, an exploit based on the vulnerability is yet to be used by black hats.’
- ‘The fact is, of course, that the computing world's black hat brigade don't give a monkey's what platform you're using.’
1950s: from the colour of the hat traditionally worn by the bad character in westerns. Compare with white hat.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.