One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Eurasian grouse, the male of which has glossy blue-black plumage and a lyre-shaped tail. The males display in communal leks.
- ‘Grouse numbers are up by 25 per cent on last year and conditions have been ideal for other rare moorland game birds, such as the black grouse and grey partridge.’
- ‘We have some exceptionally rare birds there, like hen harriers, black grouse, and we are setting up an osprey platform.’
- ‘All he succeeded in shooting was a single black grouse, perched singing on a tree branch.’
- ‘Large uninhabited forests and mountain areas have supported a rich wildlife and provided opportunities for hunting (elk, reindeer, red and roe deer, hare, ptarmigan, black grouse, capercaillie).’
- ‘These trees will help to provide shelter and food for birds including the rare black grouse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.