One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hypothetical perfect absorber and radiator of energy, with no reflecting power.
- ‘A black body is one that perfectly absorbs all the radiation falling on it and then re-emits all of that radiation.’
- ‘It is common in remote sensing applications to refer to the ‘brightness temperature’ of an object, defined as the temperature the body would need to have if it were a black-body emitting the same amount of radiation.’
- ‘The Sun radiates approximately as a black body with a temperature of 5800 K, which peaks in the optical region at a wavelength of about 0.6 m.’
- ‘Consequently, a photonic crystal measured to have the same temperature, and therefore comparable energy, as a black body has to shed more energy as photons at allowed wavelengths.’
- ‘In 1908 Einstein became a lecturer at the University of Bern after submitting his habilitation thesis which followed from the energy distribution law of black bodies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.