One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hypothetical perfect absorber and radiator of energy, with no reflecting power.
- ‘The Sun radiates approximately as a black body with a temperature of 5800 K, which peaks in the optical region at a wavelength of about 0.6 m.’
- ‘In 1908 Einstein became a lecturer at the University of Bern after submitting his habilitation thesis which followed from the energy distribution law of black bodies.’
- ‘It is common in remote sensing applications to refer to the ‘brightness temperature’ of an object, defined as the temperature the body would need to have if it were a black-body emitting the same amount of radiation.’
- ‘Consequently, a photonic crystal measured to have the same temperature, and therefore comparable energy, as a black body has to shed more energy as photons at allowed wavelengths.’
- ‘A black body is one that perfectly absorbs all the radiation falling on it and then re-emits all of that radiation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.