One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A black belt worn by an expert in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘They also trained the police students who all held first or second black belts in judo or kendo.’
- ‘In 1974 Parker awarded Elvis an eighth degree black belt in Kenpo karate.’
- ‘He had done martial arts since he was five and had earned a black belt in karate.’
- ‘Sensei Ortino has been active in the martial arts for well over 30 years now, and holds black belts in several different martial arts.’
- 1.1 A person qualified to wear a black belt.
- ‘He became an 8th degree black belt in Judo and Aikido, as well as a 7th degree black belt in Kendo.’
- ‘My father is a black belt in karate and I grew up with him, so I was involved in the martial arts.’
- ‘Many of them are black belts in other martial arts too.’
- ‘Some judo black belts joined him as they were fascinated by the art that allowed one to throw everyone easily to the ground.’
- ‘Then she hired a fourth degree black belt in karate and did martial arts training.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.