One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A black belt worn by an expert in judo, karate, and other martial arts.
- ‘They also trained the police students who all held first or second black belts in judo or kendo.’
- ‘In 1974 Parker awarded Elvis an eighth degree black belt in Kenpo karate.’
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘Sensei Ortino has been active in the martial arts for well over 30 years now, and holds black belts in several different martial arts.’
- ‘He had done martial arts since he was five and had earned a black belt in karate.’
- 1.1 A person qualified to wear a black belt.
- ‘He became an 8th degree black belt in Judo and Aikido, as well as a 7th degree black belt in Kendo.’
- ‘Then she hired a fourth degree black belt in karate and did martial arts training.’
- ‘Many of them are black belts in other martial arts too.’
- ‘My father is a black belt in karate and I grew up with him, so I was involved in the martial arts.’
- ‘Some judo black belts joined him as they were fascinated by the art that allowed one to throw everyone easily to the ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.