One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Either of two cultivated varieties of bean plant having small black seeds.
a variety of soy bean, used fermented in oriental cooking.
a Mexican variety of the French bean.
- ‘Landcare representatives say whilst the black bean is a local species it is not native to the coast and goes against Council's vegetation management plans.’
- ‘However, other relatives are the navy bean, black beans and pinto beans.’
- ‘Since the appearance of organic soymilk and tofu, food processors have also begun to manufacture cereal powder from imported grains, beans and lentils and soy sauce from organic U.S. black beans.’
- ‘The raid comes only two weeks after three government anti-slavery officials and their driver, who were probing allegations against ranchers of black bean farms, were killed in an ambush.’
- ‘Some of these varieties include Huron and Mackinac navy beans, Redhawk dark-red kidney beans, and - this year - Jaguar and Phantom black beans.’
- 1.1 The dried seed of the black bean plants, used as a vegetable.as modifier ‘black bean sauce’
- ‘For the black bean truffle sauce: In a small saucepan, add the black beans and water and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.’
- ‘When I'm in Brazil I eat our classic stew of black bean, rice, flour and beef, which our cook makes for us.’
- ‘Apples, bananas, green beans and black beans all contain lots of carbs-and they're super good for you!’
- ‘We almost had to re-think the burritos when we were unable to locate refried beans, (or black beans, or pinto beans) but Eric spotted refrys in the ethnic food section.’
- ‘A typical meal usually includes one or two varieties of rice prepared with either red or black beans.’
2Either of two Australian plants of the pea family.
another term for Moreton Bay chestnut
a liana with blackish flowers (Kennedia nigricans, family Leguminosae).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.