One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mass refusal to supply or purchase goods or services in an attempt to force a particular decision or action.
- ‘He wrote the letter to Labor Council which placed the matter of a black ban formally on the Council agenda.’
- ‘Short of a black ban by the unions, I explained, you're gone for all money.’
- ‘When the letter formally came before the Labor Council at its Thursday night meeting, he moved endorsement of a black ban and spoke to the motion.’
- ‘Indonesia is calling, calling for our help, for a black ban on all Dutch ships.’
- ‘The term green ban was coined by Jack Mundey in 1973 to distinguish these actions from traditional union black bans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.