Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mass refusal to supply or purchase goods or services in an attempt to force a particular decision or action.
- ‘Indonesia is calling, calling for our help, for a black ban on all Dutch ships.’
- ‘The term green ban was coined by Jack Mundey in 1973 to distinguish these actions from traditional union black bans.’
- ‘He wrote the letter to Labor Council which placed the matter of a black ban formally on the Council agenda.’
- ‘Short of a black ban by the unions, I explained, you're gone for all money.’
- ‘When the letter formally came before the Labor Council at its Thursday night meeting, he moved endorsement of a black ban and spoke to the motion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.