One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A terrier of a breed with a black back and tan markings on face, flanks, and legs.
- ‘BoJack was the spit of his daddy, who was a black and tan, and like his daddy, accepted the run of the place as his due.’
2British mass noun A drink composed of stout and bitter.
- ‘He was promoting a range of products such as wax and hair-gel sprays which would have made the Brylcreem boys choke on their black and tans.’
- ‘It was great for a really noisy pub singalong of the chorus after 9 pints of black and tan.’
- ‘I managed to bring out 2200 words during his speech, while drinking two large black and tans.’
- ‘Maybe a black and tan would have been more in tune with the holiday, but ah well.’
- ‘On weekdays you can enjoy $1.50 off wine, rail drinks, and pints - ranging from Guinness to black and tans - until 6: 00 p.m.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.