One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A terrier of a breed with a black back and tan markings on face, flanks, and legs.
- ‘BoJack was the spit of his daddy, who was a black and tan, and like his daddy, accepted the run of the place as his due.’
2British mass noun A drink composed of stout and bitter.
- ‘On weekdays you can enjoy $1.50 off wine, rail drinks, and pints - ranging from Guinness to black and tans - until 6: 00 p.m.’
- ‘He was promoting a range of products such as wax and hair-gel sprays which would have made the Brylcreem boys choke on their black and tans.’
- ‘It was great for a really noisy pub singalong of the chorus after 9 pints of black and tan.’
- ‘I managed to bring out 2200 words during his speech, while drinking two large black and tans.’
- ‘Maybe a black and tan would have been more in tune with the holiday, but ah well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.