One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of plants that have flowers with yellowish petals and a dark centre.
a slender tropical climber popular as an indoor or greenhouse plant (Thunbergia alata, family Acanthaceae).
a rudbeckia grown in gardens (Rudbeckia hirta and its hybrids, family Compositae).
- ‘Purple coneflower, black-eyed Susans, sedums and grasses should be left as they are; if they look particularly messy, plant a few stakes and tie the leaves up.’
- ‘How I loved those fields of wildflowers - especially the black-eyed Susans with their huge black eye surrounded by delicate petals of gold.’
- ‘Less invasive kinds, such as black-eyed Susan vine, can even weave themselves among other annuals and perennials, creating a wild look.’
- ‘The blooms on this huge-flowered black-eyed Susan actually look better a few days after they've been in the vase.’
- ‘He picked up his binoculars and they swayed over to the Rassaby garden, pink veils of roses tumbling over the fence, morning glories and orange nasturtiums tangled in black-eyed Susans.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.