One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of homologous chromosomes) associated in pairs.
- ‘If chromosomes 1 and 2 are genetically more identical, as are chromosomes 3 and 4, there are three different combinations for the bivalent chromosome pairing.’
- ‘Note that the bivalent sex chromosome remaining in the vicinity of the equator appears to be oriented to the poles.’
- ‘A bivalent B chromosome was removed directly from a pachytene slide by a micromanipulator.’
- ‘Because only homologous chromosomes pair, allopolyploids strictly exhibit bivalent formation (two chromosomes pair) at meiosis and undergo disomic inheritance for each locus.’
- ‘Slides containing F 2 worms were screened for the presence of worms with diakinesis nuclei exhibiting more than six chromatin masses (indicating failure in bivalent formation).’
2Chemistryanother term for divalent
- ‘Using strips of sister holograms from one slide, we made a range of measurements of various mono- and bivalent ions.’
- ‘The surface of BR is bound with bivalent metal cations, charge amino acids and polar phospholipids to form an asymmetrical distribution of charges on the membrane surface.’
- ‘The bivalent cations were slightly increased as well as chloride and phosphate.’
- ‘A comparison of the effect of monovalent counterions and bivalent counterions is a subject of our future work.’
- ‘It causes the cell wall to become rigid by blocking free carboxyl groups that interact with bivalent ions like Ca 2 +.’
A pair of homologous chromosomes.
- ‘However, no investigation has been made into whether homologous chromosome pairs or bivalents with altered patterns of recombination events may also be at increased risk for nondisjunction in mammals other than humans.’
- ‘On average, each double-crossover bivalent produces one double-crossover chromosome (of four) in the absence of chromatid interference.’
- ‘True non-disjunction as a mechanism causing aneuploidy was separately assessed when a bivalent was found in a set of metaphase II chromosomes.’
- ‘Three properties of meiotic chromosomes act to form a bivalent that will undergo proper reductional division.’
- ‘An additional line drawing to the side depicts the spatial arrangement of the bivalent corresponding to LG - 02 and the FISH signals associated therewith.’
Mid 19th century: from bi- ‘two’ + Latin valent- ‘being strong’ (from the verb valere).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.