Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Sorry, I'm a bit distracted at the mo, hence the bittiness, so I'll stop now.’
- ‘Still, the fossil episode highlights an underlying bittiness, when Dark is suddenly referred to as ‘the man’, as if we have never encountered him before.’
- ‘The Empire Strikes Back, for all its bittiness, is a damn fine film, only ruined by proximity to and culpability for Return of the Jedi.’
- ‘In moving towards biography you must have felt that journalism was insufficiently rewarded to provide a living and also that its bittiness was in itself too limiting?’
- ‘The air of bittiness is intensified by the knowledge that the two longest stories, The Bellarosa Connection and A Theft, have already appeared as standalone books themselves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.