Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for plain chocolate
- ‘And then in a large bowl, I melted 5 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and 10 tablespoons of butter in the microwave.’
- ‘But there is also cardamom, cinnamon, stem ginger, bittersweet chocolate, mango and lime, toasted coconut and dark rum, spiced coffee, dark roast coffee, and most recently, banana muscovado.’
- ‘Then he drank his lukewarm black coffee and ate the bittersweet chocolate, which went down like so much nectar and ambrosia: never a better breakfast hath man eaten, Bob felt.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, and butter and place over a double boiler until melted.’
- ‘The poached pears will tomorrow be coated in bittersweet chocolate and served to the guests who will sit and laugh in the dining room with my parents.’
- ‘I dropped a block of bittersweet chocolate on a cutting board.’
- ‘Meanwhile, I chopped and added 8 oz of the Giardelli bittersweet chocolate to the remaining cream/milk/vanilla bean mixture.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the milk, bittersweet chocolate, and white chocolate.’
- ‘For two dollars more, you can splurge on a helping of cool white-chocolate mousse, dusted with a powdering of bittersweet chocolate, on a slim hazelnut praline.’
- ‘The croissant was wonderful, as was the chocolate bread with a real piece of bittersweet chocolate inside.’
- ‘It is a rich chocolate sponge cake glazed in apricot, and iced with bittersweet chocolate.’
- ‘In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth.’
- ‘They're halfway between a cookie and a chocolate truffle with an extraordinarily pure bittersweet chocolate flavor.’
- ‘Eating milk chocolate isn't like eating bittersweet chocolate just like eating red licorice should not be compared to black licorice (ick).’
- ‘She uses just a bit of bittersweet chocolate as her secret ingredient.’
- ‘They buy sacks of cacao beans, then roast and grind them into pure, dark bittersweet chocolate.’
- ‘Milk in chocolate is believed to counter the beneficial antioxidant effects of bittersweet chocolate, which is known to reduce blood pressure.’
- ‘As herbs go, it consorts with better-heeled companions than most - bourbon and sugar in frosty silver glasses on hot derby days, bittersweet chocolate over plump scoops of Italian gelato.’
- ‘Dip one side of each apple into the bittersweet chocolate.’
- ‘I love classic, thick and sweet plain hot chocolate made with good bittersweet chocolate, but for now I'm having fun playing with possibilities of flavorings for this wintertime specialty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.