One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An assortment of small items.
odds and ends, oddments, stuff, paraphernalia, things, miscellanea, bric-a-brac, sundries, knick-knacks, souvenirs, keepsakes, mementoes, lumber, flotsam and jetsamView synonyms
- ‘It's an epidemic, I thought, standing in the sun outside while I sorted my bag of bits and pieces.’
- ‘Your poor pal has just made a terrifying investment and, as you say, is having to shell out for new furnishings and other bits and bobs.’
- ‘So the Guru and I wandered off to Ikebukuro for the afternoon to nose, buy some bits and pieces, that sort of thing.’
- ‘I had to pick up a couple of bits and bobs in Sainsbury, so didn't get started in the kitchen until almost half seven.’
- ‘However there are other equally interesting bits and pieces on display.’
- ‘On top of all of that I discovered numerous bits and pieces of farm equipment scattered around the place.’
- ‘So far I have written 4 complete songs, with bits and bobs for another couple more; this is since last Sunday.’
- ‘We have called in to pick up a few bits and pieces, and to collect a rather expensive lamp for K's mother.’
- ‘The actual textiles seemed to be of all kinds, a few whole garments, old socks, hankies, torn-off sleeves, j-cloths, rags, babies' stuff, bits and bobs.’
- ‘There was a large collection of tools and other bits and bobs to look at, including the splendid generators.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.