One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small fly that typically occurs in large swarms. The female has piercing mouthparts and feeds on the blood of a variety of animals, including humans.
Family Ceratopogonidae: numerous genera and species, including the common European Culicoides obsoletus
- ‘Evidence is building that the biting midge, Culicoides sonorensis, is a vector of vesicular stomatitis virus, which causes significant economic losses in cattle, horses, and swine’
- ‘These are likely what is commonly referred to as no-see-um or biting midge.’
- ‘Haemoproteus species are transmitted by biting midges (Citlicoides spp.; Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) and louse flies (Diptera: Hippoboscidae).’
- ‘However, tests carried out on Scottish students have revealed just how inescapable Culicoides impunctatus - the Highland biting midge - really is.’
- ‘Bundaberg is blessed with its very own biting midges, also known as sandflies, that are indigenous to the Burnett River and breed in the river mud.’
- ‘Haemoproteus is transmitted by sandflies, or biting midges, of the genus Culicoides, and by louse-flies, both of which occur in the Lesser Antilles.’
- ‘Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).’
- ‘In a small pocket there you will find a lot of biting midges (Culicoides spp., I believe) flying around, and I walked into them.’
- ‘Seal studies the behavior of the biting midge, the nemesis of many an otherwise happy Scottish camper.’
- ‘A summer break in the Highlands sounds idyllic, but it has one obvious downside: the dreaded Culicoides impunctatus, or Highland biting midge.’
- ‘The vector for H. velans in our study area is probably a biting midge (genus Culicoides).’
- ‘Similarly, the Mosquito Magnet mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.