One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deliberately hurt or offend a benefactor.
- ‘Go back to the woods, sing country music or yodel, stop biting the hand that feeds you and leave hip-hop to the people who understand and appreciate it.’
- ‘And then its more prophetic voice might be muted or silenced because it doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds.’
- ‘The suggestion that somehow we are biting the hand that feeds us is absolute nonsense.’
- ‘It is surely irrational to bite the hand that feeds.’
- ‘It's funny to hear a filmmaker bite the hand that feeds.’
- ‘But is it the best strategy for a consumer brand to bite the hand that feeds?’
- ‘Aunt Marthy's passive hopefulness is problematic for Linda but critiquing it would be to bite the hand that feeds and inspires her.’
- ‘But I wouldn't write anything to lift the lid on the fashion industry - it would be biting the hand that feeds me.’
- ‘The only thing we're surprised about when it comes to the protest is that they picked on us - they are biting the hand that feeds them.’
- ‘But the BBC is apparently about to set a new standard for biting the hand that feeds it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.