One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deliberately hurt or offend a benefactor.
- ‘It is surely irrational to bite the hand that feeds.’
- ‘The only thing we're surprised about when it comes to the protest is that they picked on us - they are biting the hand that feeds them.’
- ‘But I wouldn't write anything to lift the lid on the fashion industry - it would be biting the hand that feeds me.’
- ‘Aunt Marthy's passive hopefulness is problematic for Linda but critiquing it would be to bite the hand that feeds and inspires her.’
- ‘The suggestion that somehow we are biting the hand that feeds us is absolute nonsense.’
- ‘It's funny to hear a filmmaker bite the hand that feeds.’
- ‘But the BBC is apparently about to set a new standard for biting the hand that feeds it.’
- ‘Go back to the woods, sing country music or yodel, stop biting the hand that feeds you and leave hip-hop to the people who understand and appreciate it.’
- ‘But is it the best strategy for a consumer brand to bite the hand that feeds?’
- ‘And then its more prophetic voice might be muted or silenced because it doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.