One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Die.‘the Premier bit the big one, supposedly an automobile accident’
pass away, pass on, lose one's life, depart this life, expire, breathe one's last, draw one's last breath, meet one's end, meet one's death, lay down one's life, be no more, perish, be lost, go the way of the flesh, go the way of all flesh, go to glory, go to one's last resting place, go to meet one's maker, cross the great divide, cross the styxView synonyms
- ‘Stone was about ready to bite the big one, but some quick thinking and movements on his part turned the tables!’
- ‘Don't let the evildoers say that Liberty bites the big one.’
- ‘The pacing is all wrong and the characters so dull there won't be a single audience member to care if Mr. Brady bites the big one or not.’
- ‘When the heart monitor went dead, my whole body went into a coma-like state, so that's why it looked like I'd bit the big one.’
- ‘You can take a few hits that phase or stun you before biting the big one.’
- ‘The filmmakers do go out of their way, however, to remove as much culpability from Cordell as possible when a villain bites the big one, like ducking just in time for a baddie to get stuffed with an arrow fired by his own co-villain.’
- ‘For example, it's fairly easy to guess which characters are going to bite the big one in the machines vs. Zion battle before the first machine even arrives.’
- ‘Sargon is supposedly killed when Kirk dies, but he doesn't die and yet the being inside Spock bites the big one when Spock dies.’
- ‘Gather them up, give them some guns, and get them ready to bite the big one.’
- ‘And then the CIA would be hers to rule once Dr. Collins bit the big one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.