One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A humpbacked shaggy-haired wild ox native to North America and Europe.
Genus Bison, family Bovidae: B. bison of North American prairies (also called buffalo), and B. bonasus of European forests (also called wisent), now found only in Poland. These are sometimes regarded as a single species
- ‘Doubtless they hunted horses there, as well as the roaming bison, woolly rhino and hyena.’
- ‘From North America came squirrels and raccoons, bears and bison, eagles and an elk.’
- ‘The haste to pass the area before dusk when elephants and bison come to the waterholes added anxiety to exhaustion.’
- ‘Then, in 1997, Igor organized an effort to bring the European bison back to the forest.’
- ‘One of his subjects was a male bison sent to Paris from the United States in 1819.’
- ‘Wild bison roamed the streets in America and Canada when once they had walked the plains.’
- ‘There are tigers here, but it's elephants, monkeys and bison that you're most likely to see sipping at the reserve's lakes.’
- ‘Today the wood and plains bison in North America are the only surviving populations.’
- ‘Expect to spot bison, elk, deer, moose, coyote and many winter birds during your ski.’
- ‘Among the animals most commonly represented are the bison, the bull and the horse.’
- ‘Elks and bison, it seems, adapted better to the new landscape than mammoths and horses.’
- ‘The bison naturally migrate to Horse Butte during the winter to find food and escape deep snows.’
- ‘Sometimes they used the flames to drive the bison someplace for easier and safer killing by people on foot.’
- ‘The archaeologists last week unearthed engravings of a bison, another ibex, part of a horse and some triangular shapes.’
- ‘The cowboys left long ago, but the elk, bison, pronghorns, coyote and moose are still at large in a chilly wilderness.’
- ‘They were once hunted by sportsmen in India as ‘big game’ as was the American bison.’
- ‘Grazing has always been allowed because cattle mimic the impact bison had on the natural landscape.’
- ‘Wolves primarily hunt in packs for large prey such as moose, elk, bison, musk oxen, and reindeer.’
- ‘It appears to depict a bison's head and forequarters attached to a humanlike body.’
- ‘The only thing I can figure is that they want the diseased bison to infect cattle and thereby harm the beef industry.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, ultimately of Germanic origin and related to wisent.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.