Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Small rectangular biscuits containing nuts, made originally in Italy.
- ‘Although references I've found describe it as a sweet yeast bread, just a bit denser than panettone, Peter's version is more cakey than yeasty, a texture reminiscent of biscotti, but moister.’
- ‘The choices were biscotti, muffins, quick bread, chocolate cake, and cookies.’
- ‘If you like, you can drizzle melted chocolate over the biscotti.’
- ‘It was a warm May day, so we were sitting at a bistro table outside, having biscotti and chai.’
- ‘Or if I toast too many nuts and have a handful leftover, I'll make a batch of biscotti.’
- ‘Still, the service was worth braving for the terrific, crispy cantucci, biscotti, and amaretti, richly-scented with aromatic bitter almonds.’
- ‘They have skipped supper, only nibbling a little on scones and biscotti, and they are hungry.’
- ‘The meal comes to a leisurely close with wedges of custard-filled torta or purchased almond biscotti served with vin santo, a sweet golden dessert wine, or espresso.’
- ‘I will take a Coke, some biscotti, a strawberry cupcake, and a cake.’
- ‘A plate of ripe cheeses is always available, and a dessert or two; Jenkins bakes the chocolate-almond cake and biscotti in-house.’
- ‘Creme de Menthe hot chocolate and biscotti are perfect served together and stand out served by themselves.’
- ‘A dessert plate covered in a mix of sweet treats, coconut and raspberry jam cookies plus biscotti and brownies, all homemade, was just as tempting.’
- ‘We could not manage dessert despite temptations such as the lime and honey panna cotta with honey-glazed figs and apricot biscotti plus some excellent dessert wines.’
- ‘Laurel will produce aromatic fruit pies, nut-filled cookies and biscotti, and other nostalgic treats in their seasons.’
- ‘To finish, we had the trio of crème brûlée with biscotti, and the rice pudding with armagnac prunes.’
- ‘You can also fill this person's basket with organic chocolate cookies, biscotti, chocolate bars and hot cocoa.’
- ‘Until then, I'm sticking to the Boutari Moschofilero at $7 a glass - and a ribbon-tied bagful of raisin-studded biscotti to bring home.’
- ‘That pretty much boils down to biscotti and ginger cookies, with a handful of others thrown in.’
- ‘Cookies, such as twice-baked biscotti and sesame-seed varieties, could be shaped into forms with religious significance.’
- ‘The same fruits had been used in the accompanying biscotti, that traditional Italian twice-cooked biscuit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.