Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An Indian dish made with highly seasoned rice and meat, fish, or vegetables.‘prawn biryani’→ breyani
- ‘At a reception this week, a rice dish, or biryani, was studded with fat chunks of saffron-flavored lobster, promoting digestion, yes, but also delicious.’
- ‘There will be two non-vegetarian and two vegetarian biriyani dishes every day.’
- ‘I give him time to get away, then walk down Peachy Hill to get away from his intrusion, and get a vegetable biriani from an Indian restaurant.’
- ‘The large selection of vegetarian entrées starts at $7.95 for red lentils cooked with onions, tomatoes and cumin, and runs up to $12.95 for the vegetable biryani.’
- ‘These include Indian pilaf and biriani dishes; meat and poultry preparations such as Shahi raan (royal roast leg of lamb with saffron raisin sauce); and desserts such as kheer.’
- ‘Among the items are curd rice, vegetable biriyani, tandoori naan/roti, tomato garlic rasam, choice of dosas, appam, vendakka pachadi, ulli chena thiyal, kaalan and olan.’
- ‘Malabar's own dishes such as biriyani, pathiri, halwa, banana chips, etc., can hardly escape a gourmet's attention.’
- ‘At weddings, a common food is biryani, a rice dish with lamb or beef and a blend of spices, particularly saffron.’
- ‘Team these with biryani, curried shrimp noodles, fried rice in roasted chilli paste, and grilled spring chicken.’
- ‘For supper, those travelling in the economy and executive class are being offered chicken biriyani or vegetable biriyani.’
- ‘The biryani, cooked with pilau rice and served with a vegetable curry, was a little hotter than you would expect from a usually mild dish, but that extra spice solicited no complaints.’
- ‘The average vegetable biryani contains 685 calories and 43g of fat, apparently.’
- ‘The British consumer, long familiar with biryanis and bhunas and increasingly sophisticated about spicy flavours, is ready to try something new.’
- ‘They trooped to the stalls put up by Annapoorna and Elite hotels and happily dug into fish biriyani, fish fried rice, fish with chapatti and just good ol’ fish.’
- ‘Louise, being vegetarian, had fewer options, including chana masala, sag aloo and vegetable biryani.’
- ‘With a quick demo of every day dishes that could be cooked, from snacks, biryani and curries to cakes, the master chef sure made the microwave cooking seem easy and convenient.’
- ‘The menu includes homemade curries and biryanis and exotic dishes such as avulose unda, puttu, kadala and pazham pori.’
- ‘The buffet will have two types of non-veg. biryanis, and one veg. biryani, accompanied by salads and three desserts.’
- ‘The Bay's menu is vast, featuring traditional dishes of every kind including balti, tandoori, biryani, korma, bhuna, rogan josh - and even English dishes.’
- ‘Our oysters tasted fresh and the chicken biryani had a good Indian flavour to it.’
Urdu, from Persian biryāni, from biriyān fried, grilled.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.