Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An unusual, typically permanent, mark on someone's body which is there from birth.
naevus, strawberry mark, port wine stainmoleblemish, discoloration, patchView synonyms
- ‘Nipples, birthmarks, moles, or beauty marks may appear darker during pregnancy.’
- ‘Hemangiomas, or raised red birthmarks caused by blood vessel changes, may also be present.’
- ‘Other types of birthmarks may require different management from that of hemangiomas.’
- ‘It is very easy to disguise most birthmarks and freckles with makeup; there is an endless supply on sale.’
- ‘The physician should examine the entire spine for areas of redness, scars, blisters, lipomata, hairy patches, birthmarks and cafe-au-lait spots.’
- ‘Did you say the guy had a birthmark on his wrist?’
- ‘Vascular birthmarks can be internal, or form an external birthmark and can be disfiguring, especially if formed on the face.’
- ‘Freckles can appear similar to and are sometimes confused with pigmented naevi, birthmarks, or moles.’
- ‘Don't let unusual moles or birthmarks go unchecked.’
- ‘He had blue eyes, quite a rounded chin bone and a strawberry-type birthmark on the nape of his neck.’
- ‘It is larger than the other birthmarks and it can spread to other parts of the body via the blood stream.’
- ‘The first symptoms most commonly noted in children are skin lesions, including birthmarks, tumors, and other growths.’
- ‘The presence of a large number of non-cancerous birthmarks may also be a risk factor.’
- ‘When she felt uncomfortable, Claire would glance down at her birthmark on the dorsal area of her left wrist.’
- ‘They asked how old we were and if we had any birthmarks.’
- ‘Take this visual tour to familiarize yourself with the rashes and birthmarks that affect numerous newborns and infants.’
- ‘The spinal cord does not protrude through the skin, although a patch of hair, a birthmark, or a dimple may be present on the skin over the lower spine.’
- ‘Pulse dye lasers have been used to treat spider veins on the face and legs, port wine birthmarks, warts, rosacea, stretch marks and scars.’
- ‘We've taken out freckles, birthmarks, scars, blemishes, excess fat, and body hair.’
- ‘Some of the children have birthmarks or birth defects that correspond to wounds or other marks on the deceased person.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.