Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) the awards and titles conferred by the sovereign on his or her official birthday.‘he was appointed a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours, for political and charitable services’
- ‘He was made a Freeman of the City of Bradford, and made Companion of Honour in the Queen's Birthday Honours in June 1997.’
- ‘In 1998, after my Dad's retail endeavours had more or less finished, my Dad received a knighthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours, a wonderful achievement of which he is rightly very proud of.’
- ‘These three personnel join 22 other members of the RAN who were named on this year's Queen's Birthday Honours list.’
- ‘Two of Britain's football legends were rewarded today in a Birthday Honours List published on the day Euro 2004 kicks off.’
- ‘He received a knighthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours earlier this year and received a CBE in 1996 for services to agriculture.’
- ‘A dedicated doctor who has devoted more than three decades of his life to Shipston Medical Centre has been awarded the OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.’
- ‘She was awarded an MBE in the 2004 Queen's Birthday Honours for her services to ethnic minorities and business.’
- ‘The Queen's Birthday Honours are awarded on a Saturday in June.’
- ‘In 2000 she was awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for services to science broadcasting.’
- ‘In the Queen's Birthday Honours List of 1922, he was created a Knight Commander of the British Empire.’
- ‘He was knighted for services to nursing and the NHS in the Queen's Birthday Honours last year.’
- ‘Last June, the 53-year-old Gent was included in the Queen's Birthday Honours list and knighted for his services to the telecoms industry.’
- ‘And she has been rewarded for that passion in the Queen's Birthday Honours, which saw her awarded a New Zealand Order of Merit.’
- ‘Aviation, literary and ecclesiastical pioneers, a senior judge and a sports stalwart head this year's Queen's Birthday Honours.’
- ‘He said the knighthood, awarded in the Queen's Birthday Honours, recognised ‘the work of the community at large’.’
- ‘The Beatles were made MBEs in the Queen's Birthday Honours.’
- ‘Jim was appointed a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2002.’
- ‘Once again, several people from Croydon were in the Queen's Birthday Honours list, released at the weekend.’
- ‘A legendary Olympic coach responsible for training more than 200 international athletes receives an MBE in today's Queen's Birthday Honours.’
- ‘He was made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours for his services to science and education.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.