One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl or woman whose birthday is being marked.
- ‘The birthday girl went for the rack of lamb.’
- ‘However, on a special occasion like this, a little heavily accented chat might have worked wonders on the birthday girl.’
- ‘The children are encouraged to get involved with the show and the birthday girl or boy gets a magic wand, a certificate and a magic show badge.’
- ‘The full-colour result was very impressive and the birthday girl was very pleased with it.’
- ‘As the birthday girl, I took first bite at the bait: a mix of seafood and steak or ‘surf and turf’ as the King's Staith restaurant called it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.