One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy or man whose birthday is being marked.
- ‘Everything else - cake, balloons, party bags - has to be provided by the birthday boy's parents.’
- ‘The birthday boy or girl will receive an autographed football with every child receiving goody bags, which will include a voucher to see a City game.’
- ‘It was in the school hall and the birthday boy was sitting up on stage.’
- ‘In the smaller house next door, all of three feet away from the farmhouse, the birthday boy's mother and father are staying, along with the birthday boy's niece.’
- ‘And I'm not sure the fact that you popped out to buy an emergency (and somewhat clichéd) gift will stand you in any stead with the birthday boy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.