One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The weight of a baby or young animal at birth.‘he weighed in a healthy 4.25 kilograms, a gain of 450 grams on his birth weight’
- ‘These results were independent of other factors such as mother's background, birth weight, weaning age and breastfeeding.’
- ‘My sister and I had healthy birth weights, hit all the markers, and excelled academically, despite the lack of elbow room.’
- ‘One in five newborns qualified for a diagnosis of macrosomia - excessive birth weight of more than 8.8 pounds or 4 kilograms.’
- ‘No info as yet on the little girl's name, birth weight or other details.’
- ‘The German news site reported that the baby's mother suffered from gestational diabetes, which is what led to the high birth weight.’
- ‘Researchers looked at records of births between 2003 and 2005 in order to compare birth weights, diet, and weight when the baby was discharged from hospital.’
- ‘This increase has resulted in piglets with a lower birth weight, which in turn can lead to an increase in piglet mortality.’
- ‘Poor maternal diet before conception can result in offspring with reduced birth weights and increased risk of developing type II diabetes and obesity.’
- ‘The average birth weight of the babies was about the same in both groups, but blood pressure was significantly higher among the nicotine-patch users.’
- ‘Caffeine consumed during pregnancy is associated with fetal mortality, birth defects and decreased birth weights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.