One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The weight of a baby or young animal at birth.‘he weighed in a healthy 4.25 kilograms, a gain of 450 grams on his birth weight’
- ‘This increase has resulted in piglets with a lower birth weight, which in turn can lead to an increase in piglet mortality.’
- ‘My sister and I had healthy birth weights, hit all the markers, and excelled academically, despite the lack of elbow room.’
- ‘Researchers looked at records of births between 2003 and 2005 in order to compare birth weights, diet, and weight when the baby was discharged from hospital.’
- ‘Caffeine consumed during pregnancy is associated with fetal mortality, birth defects and decreased birth weights.’
- ‘The German news site reported that the baby's mother suffered from gestational diabetes, which is what led to the high birth weight.’
- ‘One in five newborns qualified for a diagnosis of macrosomia - excessive birth weight of more than 8.8 pounds or 4 kilograms.’
- ‘The average birth weight of the babies was about the same in both groups, but blood pressure was significantly higher among the nicotine-patch users.’
- ‘These results were independent of other factors such as mother's background, birth weight, weaning age and breastfeeding.’
- ‘Poor maternal diet before conception can result in offspring with reduced birth weights and increased risk of developing type II diabetes and obesity.’
- ‘No info as yet on the little girl's name, birth weight or other details.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.