One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official document issued to record a person's birth and identify them by name, place, date of birth, and parentage.
- ‘Even if the father's name is on the birth certificate, he has no automatic right to be a guardian to his child.’
- ‘One particular father said he had arranged with the mother of the child that he would not be named on the birth certificate.’
- ‘As a matter of fact, the name printed in my birth certificate was Susan and not Sue.’
- ‘If a new child is born, parents must submit a birth certificate to receive infant formula.’
- ‘I think I can just tell them that we don't have his birth certificate and it'll be fine.’
- ‘I am examining whether I can change the name on my birth certificate to Bruce.’
- ‘I know to get a passport you need to use your national identity card and a birth certificate.’
- ‘The second was the issue of the birth certificate and whether or not that would be altered to reflect the plaintiff's name.’
- ‘His mother told him almost nothing when he confronted her with the birth certificate and his true identity.’
- ‘At first, she was told she could not see her husband because her birth certificate and marriage certificate were in English.’
- ‘I am returning a signed copy of the letter, together with my birth certificate and two front door keys which were in my aunt's purse.’
- ‘The new birth certificate issued in Moscow was even less of a problem and only took two days to secure.’
- ‘But he has turned down the permit and continues his battle to secure a birth certificate and passport.’
- ‘Short films after each programme give practical tips, from how to access war records to what a birth certificate can reveal.’
- ‘Having a birth certificate in her name is a basic legal right, adds Lydia.’
- ‘It is the false birth certificate that the applicant produces that is really looked at.’
- ‘They didn't want money or photos, but they did need a certified copy of my birth certificate.’
- ‘The birth certificate issued by municipal offices in Punjab has a distinct compulsory column for caste.’
- ‘The claimant's birth certificate and school leaving certificates still need to be verified by the Indian authorities.’
- ‘A birth certificate and two passport photographs are required when joining.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.