Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having two different refractive indices.
- ‘A birefringent interference polarizer which may be fabricated from readily available materials using established coextrusion techniques is provided.’
- ‘At the macroscopic scale, samples held in test-tubes spontaneously demix under the influence of gravity into a top isotropic phase and a bottom birefringent nematic phase.’
- ‘The model appeared to require that a gas of hydrogenic atoms would be magnetically birefringent, because the electron would orbit in a plane perpendicular to the field direction.’
- ‘In traditional polarization microscopy and orientational spectroscopy, several techniques have been used to determine birefringent and dichroic properties.’
- ‘When polarization is a concern, linear and birefringent polarizers can be used to remove, reflect, or refract one of the polarization components.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.