One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having two different refractive indices.
- ‘A birefringent interference polarizer which may be fabricated from readily available materials using established coextrusion techniques is provided.’
- ‘The model appeared to require that a gas of hydrogenic atoms would be magnetically birefringent, because the electron would orbit in a plane perpendicular to the field direction.’
- ‘At the macroscopic scale, samples held in test-tubes spontaneously demix under the influence of gravity into a top isotropic phase and a bottom birefringent nematic phase.’
- ‘When polarization is a concern, linear and birefringent polarizers can be used to remove, reflect, or refract one of the polarization components.’
- ‘In traditional polarization microscopy and orientational spectroscopy, several techniques have been used to determine birefringent and dichroic properties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.