Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘They demonstrated diagnostic negative birefringence under the polarizing microscope.’
- ‘Such flexibility has been observed by electrical birefringence, electron paramagnetic resonance, fluorescence resonance energy transfer, phosphorescence, and electron microscopy.’
- ‘The use of polarized illumination makes birefringence a factor in optical performance.’
- ‘Polarization images probe linear birefringence and can only achieve contrast by having orthogonal polarizers for excitation and collection.’
- ‘The chitinized walls that lined many of the spray flow structures exhibited birefringence in polarized light microscopy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.