One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of observing birds in their natural environment as a hobby.
- ‘Whatever hobbies you had, you are now free to pursue any discipline you craved whether it is bird-watching or travelling.’
- ‘After a day spent bird-watching, hiking, and walking on the trails, you'll be happy to find the comfort of your hotel and to plan your next day's visit on the town!’
- ‘An ongoing outreach program educates golfers and local residents on the course benefits of wetlands preservation, recycling and bird-watching.’
- ‘I would give anything that reminds the recipient of where we live, whether it be food, a species identifier, a course in bird-watching, or native plants.’
- ‘At the most ancient oracle, the oracle of Zeus at remote Dodona in the direction of Albania, divination seems to have taken the form of structured bird-watching, involving the behaviour of doves and a sacred oak tree.’
- ‘Daytime high temperatures average in the high 60s. Spring may be the best season here, with moderate temperatures, good bird-watching, and a full lake.’
- ‘This issue also touches on other simple ideas and interests that seem so fitting at this time of year, such as the quiet and peaceful joy of bird-watching, an especially rich experience in the West.’
- ‘There'd be a spot for sunbathing, another for bird-watching.’
- ‘In a way, praying is very much like bird-watching.’
- ‘He was a partner in an engineering firm which he co-founded, and spent many hours bird-watching, but his lifestyle was turned upside down by the condition, which developed after a bad bout of gastric flu.’
- ‘Walter, who has hung up a bird feeder outside his apartment window, meets and chats up an 11-year-old girl who is bird-watching in a neighborhood park.’
- ‘The Forest Service's latest survey, in 2000, found 71 million people who enjoyed bird-watching, up from 21 million in 1982.’
- ‘It's similar to bird-watching where you tick off the rarest species.’
- ‘And after a satisfying day of bird-watching, treat yourself to a scrumptious meal of Maryland's famous blue crabs, oysters, or a freshly caught fish.’
- ‘There has been a lot of work gone into this accreditation and it really sets this area up as being the capital for bird-watching and study.’
- ‘I think that cats are owed a certain amount of stimulation, whether bird-watching from an indoor perch or playing with humans or another cat, or checking out their territory periodically.’
- ‘An estimated ten thousand people visit the refuge each year to enjoy a variety of activities from bird-watching and photography to hunting and fishing.’
- ‘In a variety of presentations and displays, the pupils demonstrated some of the activities they take part in, including singing, bird-watching, gymnastics, archaeology, drama and cheerleading.’
- ‘More bird-watching is in the air for high-profile twitcher Lord Puttnam, producer of The Killing Fields, Midnight Express and Chariots of Fire, who's all set to spend even more time in Ireland.’
- ‘Because some people worry that bird feeding disrupts natural patterns, the practice has long been debated by the environmental, bird-watching and home-owning communities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.