One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small basin placed in a garden and filled with water for birds to bathe in.
- ‘They stretched up to their skinniest and highest, ears erect, stone-still branch wanabees, whenever I went into the courtyard to water and refill the bird bath.’
- ‘Always make sure that there is some form of water supply in your garden, even if it is just a bird bath.’
- ‘Once beyond the gates the short avenue, covered overhead with ancient laurels, leads on to a circular drive in front of the house with the centre of the grassed area featuring roses and a raised bird bath.’
- ‘It is important to supplement their diets by regular feeding and to provide a bird bath (check daily to ensure that it is not empty or frozen over).’
- ‘Be sure to clean out and fill the bird bath with fresh water twice a week in hot weather.’
- ‘Be sure to top up the water in the bird bath twice a week - our feathered friends get to depend on this source of water in dry times.’
- ‘Having a bird bath with open water all year around is a starter.’
- ‘Many were family gifts, including a 2ft statue of a farmer, an angel holding a bird bath, two concrete dogs and numerous moles.’
- ‘We've been there and looked through the window when a pair of bright parrots, never seen before in the garden, come down to the bird bath to drink and splash.’
- ‘Money and materials were in short supply so the hard landscaping tended to be of concrete or recycled brick, with any ornament such as a bird bath, sundial or planter being constructed from the unwanted items of war that littered our world.’
- ‘Make sure you have a supply of water for visiting birds: a bird bath is fine but a shallow sided container (30 cm diameter or more and holding up to 5 cm of water) placed in the ground will do just as well.’
- ‘During a send-off presentation she received a bird bath from staff and a family of ceramic frogs, which she avidly collects, from the company.’
- ‘Marvin led them inside his clinic, a small white building with a flower garden in the front adorned with bird feeders and a bird bath.’
- ‘Finally, in addition to their water dish, you should provide a bird bath.’
- ‘You've planted the flowers, put in the shrubs and even added a bird bath and a few garden decorations, but what's missing?’
- ‘But I have been gazing forlornly at my unoccupied bird bath since I was given it for Christmas.’
- ‘Keep the bird bath in good repair and full of water for the birds.’
- ‘Unlike larger birds, hummingbirds will seldom take advantage of a bird bath or bowl of water.’
- ‘She previously claimed carpet vouchers and a stone bird bath.’
- ‘She got extra points for her bird bath, which is invaluable especially in winter for birds to keep their feathers clean and fluffy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.