One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small platform or table in a garden on which food for birds is placed.
- ‘The pupils have also been able to extend the project into other lessons, including making a bird table, which is visible from the nursery classroom.’
- ‘Three £60 windows have been smashed by an air rifle in the past two weeks and a bird table, set up last October, was destroyed.’
- ‘Put it in a rat-proof container, use a bird table if you feed the birds, and take any leftovers in at night if that is possible,’ Mrs Thorpe said.’
- ‘Food for birds can be placed on a bird table, in feeders or on the ground.’
- ‘The starlings don't seem to mind too much though - they're tucking into the bird cake that I made and put out on the bird table for them.’
- ‘He then saw her putting a bird table - worth £35-into the back of a car.’
- ‘We think birds from our bird table have dropped some of the seeds while flying away and now we have this enormous sunflower.’
- ‘It was no more moist at home and ended up on the bird table.’
- ‘They had smashed their way through the French windows with a piece of the bird table from the garden.’
- ‘I have some ready to put out on the bird table in the morning.’
- ‘I have also made a bird table, because Marjorie would have liked that as well.’
- ‘Have you ever loaded up the bird table with winter treats for your garden birds, only to find it stripped down to the last nut and sunflower seed a few hours later?’
- ‘As well as putting food on a bird table, I place a large dish of seeds for them on the ground.’
- ‘Celebrations for the retiring Mrs Warren lasted two days and included a special assembly where she was presented with a clock, a bird table and a bench.’
- ‘I've cleared away the sunflowers and left a couple of heads on the bird table so that they can take the seeds if they want to.’
- ‘Dating from the 18th century, it has flint walls, a solid-fuel stove and a bird table on the lawn.’
- ‘We have nothing especially unusual so far as species are concerned, although we do get a woodpecker on the bird table from time to time.’
- ‘So it was like a two-square-mile bird table for them.’
- ‘The most obvious is to set up a bird table - essential if there are cats around - and provide food and water.’
- ‘Wood pigeons are landing on the flower boxes, breaking all the plants with their fighting and defecating on the bird table, balcony floor and furniture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.