Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place or building where research on birds, especially ringing, is carried out.
- ‘However, it is easily seen if you go to the right place: the bird observatory at Barren Grounds, south of Wollongong.’
- ‘The island's bird observatory is also popular with tourists and there is a small hotel, a self-catering cottage and two bed and breakfasts.’
- ‘There is only one B&B, a bird observatory hostel and a single self - catering cottage.’
- ‘History buffs and bird fanatics spent a year restoring the rundown telegraph building before opening it to the public in 1978 as a museum and bird observatory.’
- ‘Skokholm is Britain's oldest bird observatory, and its lighthouse, built in 1916, has been especially adapted to protect the thousands of Manx shearwaters that return to the island after dark.’
- ‘Additionally, ~ 75% of the data were collected by three individuals whose tenure at the bird observatory overlapped by at least two years each, further enhancing standardization.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.