Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A severe, often fatal, type of influenza that affects birds, especially poultry, and that can also be transmitted to humans.
- ‘The recent reports of bird flu among humans in both Asia and Europe have thrown the world into a panic.’
- ‘China has not confirmed any cases in people and bird flu remains hard for humans to catch.’
- ‘So far, no cases of humans being infected with bird flu have been registered.’
- ‘Most of the human victims of bird flu appear to have contracted the disease through close contact with chickens.’
- ‘Firstly, it is ‘a bird flu virus poorly adapted to humans for whom it is not very infectious’.’
- ‘Supply is not keeping up with demand for the antiviral drug that may lessen the bird flu in humans.’
- ‘Dozens of tigers died recently from bird flu after contracting the virus from raw chickens they were fed.’
- ‘More than 100 people have died from bird flu worldwide but the virus has so far not been spread from person to person.’
- ‘The country accounts for more than two-thirds of total human fatalities from bird flu.’
- ‘When a pig contracts bird flu, the flu virus can mutate to attach to the human-like pig receptors.’
- ‘Most of the human deaths from bird flu have been linked to contact with sick birds.’
- ‘Their study is the first to suggest that bird flu can be transmitted to humans from wild birds.’
- ‘If the tests are successful, it would be the first vaccine in the world to treat human cases of bird flu.’
- ‘The fear is that human and bird flu virus could mix in pigs and form a strain more easily transmittable to humans.’
- ‘Our recent outbreak of bird flu has devastated the poultry industry of a number of countries.’
- ‘An outbreak of bird flu in poultry in Vietnam has killed at least six people.’
- ‘Right now there is a huge concern about bird flu crossing into the human population.’
- ‘There are no current reports of bird flu in animals or humans in Australia.’
- ‘An effective vaccine cannot be manufactured yet because a mutant strain of bird flu passing between humans has not been seen.’
- ‘Symptoms of bird flu are similar to human flu and it cannot be detected without lab tests.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.