One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A severe, often fatal, type of influenza that affects birds, especially poultry, and that can also be transmitted to humans.
- ‘There are no current reports of bird flu in animals or humans in Australia.’
- ‘The country accounts for more than two-thirds of total human fatalities from bird flu.’
- ‘The recent reports of bird flu among humans in both Asia and Europe have thrown the world into a panic.’
- ‘An effective vaccine cannot be manufactured yet because a mutant strain of bird flu passing between humans has not been seen.’
- ‘Dozens of tigers died recently from bird flu after contracting the virus from raw chickens they were fed.’
- ‘Our recent outbreak of bird flu has devastated the poultry industry of a number of countries.’
- ‘Most of the human deaths from bird flu have been linked to contact with sick birds.’
- ‘Their study is the first to suggest that bird flu can be transmitted to humans from wild birds.’
- ‘China has not confirmed any cases in people and bird flu remains hard for humans to catch.’
- ‘Right now there is a huge concern about bird flu crossing into the human population.’
- ‘Firstly, it is ‘a bird flu virus poorly adapted to humans for whom it is not very infectious’.’
- ‘If the tests are successful, it would be the first vaccine in the world to treat human cases of bird flu.’
- ‘Most of the human victims of bird flu appear to have contracted the disease through close contact with chickens.’
- ‘Supply is not keeping up with demand for the antiviral drug that may lessen the bird flu in humans.’
- ‘So far, no cases of humans being infected with bird flu have been registered.’
- ‘More than 100 people have died from bird flu worldwide but the virus has so far not been spread from person to person.’
- ‘The fear is that human and bird flu virus could mix in pigs and form a strain more easily transmittable to humans.’
- ‘Symptoms of bird flu are similar to human flu and it cannot be detected without lab tests.’
- ‘When a pig contracts bird flu, the flu virus can mutate to attach to the human-like pig receptors.’
- ‘An outbreak of bird flu in poultry in Vietnam has killed at least six people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.