Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A respiratory disease caused by inhaling dust consisting of feathers, droppings, and other organic matter from birds.
- ‘Patients with chronic bird fancier's lung can be classified into two types.’
- ‘The gamekeeper contracted bird fancier's lung, a serious disease contracted from working in a closed environment with the birds' feathers and droppings.’
- ‘Honeycombing has been observed in up to 50% of patients with chronic bird fancier's lung but appears to be much less common in chronic HP of other etiologies.’
- ‘Precipitins to avian serum antigens have been found in the sera of bird fanciers and, until now, they have been considered strong supporting evidence for a clinical diagnosis of bird fancier's lung.’
- ‘Does anyone know if there is a treatment for bird fanciers' lung (Alveolitis)?’
- ‘Asbestosis, silicosis and bird fancier's lung are examples of interstitial lung disease caused by inhalation of foreign material.’
- ‘When the disease strikes a fancier of avian culture, it is called "pigeon breeder's lung," "bird breeder's lung," or "bird fancier's lung," just to name a few.’
- ‘The most common antigens are thermophilic actinomycetes and avian proteins; the most common diseases are farmer's lung and bird fancier's lung.’
- ‘The common bird is the parakeet, but chicken handlers also develop the condition. [Chronic bird fancier's lung can be subgrouped into two types.’
- ‘Parrot and the parakeet family can cause a severe reaction known as bird-fancier's lung also called hypersensitivity pneumonitis.’
- ‘The relation between non-specific delayed cutaneous hypersensitivity and bird fancier's lung was investigated in 13 patients with the disorder.’
- ‘The most common syndromes are bird fanciers' lung and farmers' lung.’
- ‘These individuals commonly contract bird fanciers lung or HP in response to organic dusts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.