One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for tarantula (sense 1)
- ‘Now one of the things that I found really intriguing was that a number of the dasyurids, the marsupial mice don't burrow, they rely on scorpion burrows or bird-eating spider burrows to live in.’
- ‘My reaction to a mouse is a lot calmer than what it would be to a bird-eating spider, or something of that ilk.’
- ‘Also known as bird spiders or monkey spiders, tarantulas measure about 2.5 to 7.5 cm, with a leg span of 13 cm. However, the South American varieties are larger.’
- ‘And now they're being sold as ‘bird-eating spiders’ in pet shops around the country.’
- ‘How else would four and five-year-olds come nose-to-nose with a hissing cockroach or Doris the bird-eating spider?’
- ‘The world's largest spider is the goliath bird-eating spider with a body length of 3.5 inches, a leg span of 11 inches, fangs measuring one inch long and a total weight of 4.3oz.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.