One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mental condition marked by alternating periods of elation and depression.
- ‘Signs of chronic mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia may first show up in childhood.’
- ‘These are the extremes associated with bipolar disorder, which can be a serious and disabling mental illness.’
- ‘One study revealed a 13 percent risk of bipolar disorder among offspring of persons with the disorder.’
- ‘Almost four out of ten people could not think of any symptoms related to bipolar disorder or manic depression, as it is also known.’
- ‘When bipolar disorder and alcoholism occur together, each can worsen the symptoms and severity of the other.’
- ‘However, the combination of both scales was most useful in discriminating bipolar disorders from unipolar depressive disorders.’
- ‘She'd long suspected she might suffer from bipolar disorder and depression, but hadn't pursued it.’
- ‘Wurtman goes so far as to call them dangerous for those who already struggle with depression or bipolar disorder.’
- ‘Another type of depression is bipolar disorder, also called manic-depressive illness.’
- ‘The most difficult to treat and disabling aspect of bipolar disorder is the depression phase.’
- ‘Today, five of the ten leading causes of disability worldwide (major depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, alcohol use and obsessive compulsive disorders) are mental illnesses.’
- ‘Most had been diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.’
- ‘The clinical spectrum of the disease can range from simple sadness to a major depressive or bipolar disorder.’
- ‘Patients with chronic severe depressive and anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, and bipolar disorders are particularly in need of specialty consultation and management.’
- ‘The natural history of symptoms and dysfunction during previous pregnancies and deliveries, if known, is also important, especially in patients with depressive and bipolar disorders.’
- ‘It lowers rates of depression, bipolar disorder, postpartum depression and suicide.’
- ‘Like every other mental ailment, bipolar disorder is treated through medication and counseling.’
- ‘The depression episodes of bipolar disorder may be treated in a similar way to clinical depression.’
- ‘Major psychiatric illnesses, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, may have a genetic link.’
- ‘There continue to be very few articles on serious mental disorders, with only two papers submitted, specifically on depression and bipolar disorders.’
The terms bipolar disorder or bipolar affective disorder are increasingly being used in place of manic depression. See manic depression
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.