One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound containing two phenyl groups bonded together, e.g. the PCBs.
- ‘However, the discovery of bacteria that eat biphenyls has led to research that could find an organic cure for this inorganic problem.’
- ‘They maintain that the dangers comes from polychloride biphenyl, a compound used as a flame retardant on electric and electronic equipment such as computer screens and microprocessors.’
- ‘In addition, Swann's enterprises developed a method for converting benzene to biphenyl, a heat transfer medium essential to numerous safety and health products.’
- ‘Monsanto manufactured DDT and polychlorinated biphenyls before they were banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in the 1970s.’
- ‘An environmental task force in Sweet Valley / Cob Town, a largely African American and low-income white community in Alabama, filed suit against a chemical company that exposed the community to biphenyls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.