One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound containing two phenyl groups bonded together, e.g. the PCBs.
- ‘They maintain that the dangers comes from polychloride biphenyl, a compound used as a flame retardant on electric and electronic equipment such as computer screens and microprocessors.’
- ‘However, the discovery of bacteria that eat biphenyls has led to research that could find an organic cure for this inorganic problem.’
- ‘An environmental task force in Sweet Valley / Cob Town, a largely African American and low-income white community in Alabama, filed suit against a chemical company that exposed the community to biphenyls.’
- ‘In addition, Swann's enterprises developed a method for converting benzene to biphenyl, a heat transfer medium essential to numerous safety and health products.’
- ‘Monsanto manufactured DDT and polychlorinated biphenyls before they were banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in the 1970s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.