Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having two phases.
- ‘Notably, the binding was biphasic with each species, i.e., there was a rapid phase followed by a much slower one.’
- ‘Moreover, for a number of cell types and extracellular matrix molecules, cell speed exhibits a biphasic behavior with respect to surface ligand density.’
- ‘In these cases, the second phase was missing in biphasic responses.’
- ‘This report describes a case of acute myeloid leukemia with biphasic morphology.’
- ‘However, the authors observed that it was the absence, not the presence, of these native contacts in the unfolded state that generated biphasic folding kinetics.’
- ‘The rise of absorption after the actinic flash was biphasic.’
- ‘The results obtained support a heterogeneous biphasic phase 2 in all three fiber types.’
- ‘The results show that a biphasic phase 2 is common to all three fiber types.’
- ‘Many patients with depression are now recognized as having bipolar disorder, a chronic biphasic mood disorder with episodes of both depression and mania or hypomania.’
- ‘This description is able to reproduce the observed biphasic behavior with randomly and uniformly distributed channels and vesicles.’
- ‘No other biphasic waveform is as well documented.’
- ‘The second description is able to reproduce biphasic release even for uniformly (readily releasable) distributed vesicles.’
- ‘Instead, it was the relative amount of both phases that was modulated in the biphasic samples.’
- ‘Successful biphasic catalysis uses two solvents of different polarity so that the catalyst stays primarily in one phase and renders the catalyst recyclable.’
- ‘Experimental evidence and clinical observations show that, without resuscitation, the response of heart rate to a reduction in the volume of circulating blood is usually biphasic.’
- ‘In a 20 mL solution, addition of just ten drops of water was enough to produce a biphasic system composed of polar and non-polar layers.’
- ‘To exclude the possibility that the biphasic binding is caused by decelerated binding due to complete charge neutralization, we measured binding directly.’
- ‘This result indicates that this domain is biphasic, i.e., coexistence between isotropic liquid and columnar phase.’
- ‘The most significant feature is a biphasic or ‘saddleback’ fever associated with meningitis, rash, and conjunctivitis.’
- ‘Usually morale hits a low around January or February, though last year we had a biphasic low due to an early start to flu season.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.