Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an animal) using only two legs for walking.
- ‘It is clearly designed for an upright, bipedal creature.’
- ‘Theropods are the line of mainly carnivorous, bipedal dinosaurs from which birds evolved.’
- ‘Some will come as a surprise, like the early small-brained bipedal hominids.’
- ‘Eventually, the behaviorists caved in and exempted the bipedal ape from their theory of everything.’
- ‘We had to be less developed to pass through a smaller, bipedal apes cervix, and as a result developed longer and slower, but further than our ape cousins.’
- ‘That would have laid the groundwork for the success of the archaic bipedal hominids.’
- ‘They acted more like huge flightless birds of prey, than the overgrown bipedal lizards of popular imagination.’
- ‘Gizmo had become a large bipedal creature with gray fur all over its body.’
- ‘A cursorial bipedal animal would have its arms free to do with them as it pleased while running, and its running speed would allow it to achieve the minimum speed necessary for liftoff.’
- ‘He had always been fond of Jinx - in other circumstances, the bipedal tiger might have become a cosseted pet.’
- ‘In their view, terrestrial, bipedal dinosaurs flapped their ‘arms’ first and later evolved into fliers.’
- ‘It was a bipedal creature from what she could see but it resembled something close to a wild tiger in the upper torso.’
- ‘Thirdly, substantial differences are seen between the hip bones of quadrupedal and bipedal primates, involving also the locomotor and postural muscles attached to the hip bones.’
- ‘Our exobiologists expect any alien species we may encounter to be bipedal mammals that are approximately our size.’
- ‘This group of hominids were definitely bipedal, had small canine teeth and, therefore, were early men.’
- ‘Strange to see aliens as the main theme of a carving; where you expect to see humans there are bipedal cats in their stead.’
- ‘So it is important to know whether some fossil ape-like creature was bipedal or not.’
- ‘Earlier this month in northeast Ethiopia, the bones of the oldest bipedal hominid to date were discovered.’
- ‘Tyrannosaurs grew out of a group of lightweight, carnivorous, bipedal dinosaurs that also gave rise to birds.’
- ‘It was probably a bipedal animal, probably predatory, and probably the size of a large dog.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.