One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The alteration of a substance, typically a drug, within the body.
- ‘Biological processes are primarily biotransformation, biodegradation, and bioaccumulation.’
- ‘It is unlikely to be a direct effect and is probably a result of biotransformation of the drug in the lung to reactive metabolites and/or oxygen species that damage lung cells.’
- ‘Other recognized factors leading to medication allergy are pre-existing allergies and presence of diseases that interfere with medication biotransformation and excretion.’
- ‘Hepatic metabolism occurs through one of two biotransformation systems.’
- ‘Medication clearance and excretion occur by two major mechanisms: hepatic metabolism or biotransformation and renal excretion.’
- ‘However during this biotransformation process, generation of reactive metabolites might result in toxicity and liver cell damage.’
- ‘Differences in placental membranes, placental transport and biotransformation all affect fetal exposure.’
- ‘The lung is a target for toxicity because of its biotransformation pathways and/or pulmonary drug accumulation.’
- ‘In this process, which is a type of biotransformation, our bodies use certain enzymes to get the job done.’
- ‘No evidence for biotransformation of the supplemented fatty acids into other fatty acids by the algae was found.’
- ‘The levels of exposure to these agents are generally low and long-lasting, with a possibility of bioaccumulation and biotransformation, putting the integrity of the environment and human health at risk.’
- ‘Correlated with these hormone level differences between highly contaminated and reference sites were changes in activity of liver enzymes involved in androgen biotransformation.’
- ‘Rasayana is thought to improve metabolic processes, which results in the best possible biotransformation and produce the best-quality bodily tissues and eradicates senility and other diseases of old age.’
- ‘Altering the metabolism of and biotransformation processes for serotonin may be an important feature for the treatment of depression.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.