Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The exploitation of biological processes for industrial and other purposes, especially the genetic manipulation of microorganisms for the production of antibiotics, hormones, etc.
- ‘Doesn't this new product prove that biotechnology can be used for good purposes?’
- ‘The money is to be given to projects ranging from biotechnology and semiconductors to the creative industries and oil and gas.’
- ‘In the case of biotechnology, markets had to emerge to justify the products.’
- ‘Out of the knowledge acquired by modern biology, modern biotechnology is growing.’
- ‘The use of enzymes to tenderize meat sounds like a product of modern biotechnology, but is an ancient technique.’
- ‘India has very good research groups and industries are coming in to invest in biotechnology.’
- ‘The rapid evolution of biotechnology often outpaces our ability to question the progress.’
- ‘It lays at the bottom of a great deal of the general disquiet regarding the age of biotechnology.’
- ‘Advances in biotechnology and genetic engineering are making it easier to manufacture and handle other agents.’
- ‘The same can be said about a new survey of attitudes to biotechnology and genetically modified foods.’
- ‘Fundamental to his belief is tremendous growth potential for biotechnology.’
- ‘As you can see, biotechnology is a growth industry no student can afford to ignore.’
- ‘Since then he has worked in a variety of areas ranging from mechanical engineering, biotechnology and materials.’
- ‘None of the supposed problems raised in the biotech debate were either substantial or specific to biotechnology.’
- ‘All new industries have growing pains but few face the challenges of biotechnology.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.