Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Seeds are bulky organs with high metabolic and biosynthetic activity.’
- ‘A number of biosynthetic and metabolic processes require co-operation of different organelles or compartments.’
- ‘Therefore, it is not regarded as a direct major source of one-carbon units for biosynthetic reactions outside the mitochondria.’
- ‘Based on sequence similarity to known wax biosynthetic genes, mutants with potentially altered cuticle properties can be selected from this collection.’
- ‘The imported carbon is used as a substrate for biosynthetic pathways, for example, for the biosynthesis of starch or fatty acids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.